What is a sensitivity reader?
A sensitivity reader is hired to comb through a manuscript to make sure that a certain identity is being represented fairly and respectfully on the page. Authors writing outside of their own identities (see: race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) are encouraged to reach out to sensitivity readers who share some part or several parts of that marginalization. Example: a Black author writes a character of Chinese descent will then look for a sensitivity reader of Chinese descent. The sensitivity reader then makes suggestions on what parts could use some changes so as to avoid stereotypes or insulting language that may be damaging to a future reader.
What parts of your identity do you read for?
I’ll read for depictions of the following identities and any intersections of such:
- Puerto Rican life on the island,
- being raised Catholic,
- bisexuality (f/f and m/f pairings),
- and studying in the U.S. for college.
I’ll also do Spanish suggestions to make sure the Spanish slang or sayings being used are either accurate or go according to the nationality of the character (a native Puerto Rican and a U.S.-born Puerto Rican will speak completely different) at no additional cost.
What makes me the person for your project?
I’m a graduate of Iowa State University with a degree in Women and Gender Studies and a minor in U.S. Latinx Studies. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and currently live in Puerto Rico. I lived for about five years in the Midwest (Iowa, to be specific). My reading focus is mostly on books by Latinx authors. I’m also a writer, writing casually since I was in middle school and professionally for the past year (2018-19). I’ve been published on Tor.com and Bustle, and on the forthcoming anthology Boricua en la Luna (ed. Elena M. Aponte).
How much do sensitivity reads cost?
It depends from reader to reader, and it also depends on how much you’re reading. My flat rate is $.005/word for manuscripts longer than 10k words. However, I am flexible with rates. Price may go up if manuscript is longer.
Flat rate for picture books is $40 for a sensitivity read.
I accept payment via PayPal, but if there are other ways you can to pay, please contact me. There are no refunds.
Discounts for Latinx writers are available, please make sure to inquire about it in the body of the email.
What other services do you provide?
- Spanish editing – If you have a character that speaks Spanish and you wish for a read-through to make sure they’re making sense, I will make suggestions and correct accent marks and difference in word choice (certain words are used in specific countries or regions). Flat rate for picture books will be $20.
- Translation – Will depend on project length and time frame. If you’re interested, email me for more information.
What else should I know before soliciting your services?
- I prefer reading Children’s Books (Picture Books, Middle Grades, YA), but can make exceptions for any adult literature, especially if they are Romance.
- Turn around can be around 7-14 days, but always on time.
- You will receive an edit letter with my recommendations. The length of the letter will depend on how specific I can get with the recommendations.
- I will try to reply within 24 hours upon first contact.
- I reserve the right to deny your request for a read.
- You also reserve the right to ignore my suggestions at your own discretion.
- I cannot speak for everyone’s experiences except mine.
- To quote Jen Wilde’s disclaimer: “Sensitivity readers do not absolve your work from criticism. Sensitivity readers are not shields from the criticism of others. Hiring me as a sensitivity reader is not necessarily an endorsement of your work.”
- Send an email with the subject “Sensitivity Read,” “Translation,” or the service you require to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send your name, genre/title of book, and word count. (By giving me a word count, I can calculate how much time it will take me to work on your manuscript and how much it will cost.)
- What area you’d like me to do a sensitivity read for.
“Adriana was a dream to work with! Both kind and thorough in her close reading of a middle grade novel, she provided invaluable feedback that will forever make the project stronger and enjoyable for all who decide to pick it up! Adriana really knows her stuff and is an expert collaborator. (And she’s always on time!)” –Luana Horry, Assistant Editor at HarperCollins
“I highly recommend Adriana’s sensitivity reads. She did a stellar one for SHADOWSHAPER LEGACY. One of the best editorial letters I’ve ever gotten.” –Daniel José Older, NYT Bestselling author of Star Wars: The Last Shot and the Shadowshaper series